Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tegucigalpa part One

Driving into the city from Valle de los Angeles
So I feel like a post right now will be completely insufficient to explain to yal about whats happened these past few days, but I'll try to summarize.  Basically I went to Tegucigalpa, the capital for three days, for two occasions.  One was the Madre Superior Sor Yvonne came to visit Honduras for the Centenario of the Salesian sisters in Honduras, and  then also to visit mi amiga Kate Palla from University of Dallas, also a VIDES volunteer who works in Tegucigalpa with the Salesian priests at the Hogar Don Bosco.  And finally I returned here to work.  However that really explains nothing so I'll have to compartementalize my trip in a few posts. 
 First:  Taxis!
So after a seven hour squished car tip, I was dropped off on a corner along a taxi route to catch a taxi to al centro, the densly packed cars mostly taxis-- not having to pass emissions tests, were suffocating me with their exhaust as they moving past the similarly densly stacked buildings--lacking the same building codes were a little overwhelming, and the sidewalks even though we were around the outskirts were full of people walking every which way--the majority not owning cars, and then the stores all with open doors becasue they lack airconditioning. 
The view from Hogar Don Bosco

  So I had to go to this corner because with the taxi's in Tegucigalpa, you have two options, directo which takes you directly to the place, and is expensive, or collectivo, which has a route and you can only get off or on along the route, and you have to wait to go anywhere until the taxi is full with someone in each seat--even in front.  I was always crossing roads and bridges multiple times back and forth so that I could find the right find the right place to get on the right taxi route, and then wait until the car was full often with other odorous passengers.  One time on our way from the centro to my friend Kate's place at the Hogar Don Bosco, after the taxi was full, four men surrounded the car, and my heart began to pund wondering if they were going to rob us, until they started to push the car up the hill so that it would start! However there was not enought room so then they pushed the car backwards and then forwards, but still it did not start.  This process continues two more times one time hitting another car, but no one even fliched when that happened until finally the taxi with all five people in it started and we were on our way! Another time I asked all the taxistas (taxi drivers) at the station who would take me directly to the Maria Auxiliadora where the sisters were, and only one said yes, but when I got to the car, it was missing a tire!  He kept saying don't worry don't worry, and he put the tire on, and I got in the car.  Then while we were driving he said don't worry I was just fixing the breaks!  lol.  This is the life here.  This city despite its modern malls and modern fast food places (unlike Santa Rosa where I live), is still forced to pay the same prices as American prices for cars, clothes and food, but have little way of earning the same amount.  I told one of the girls my adventures with the Taxis and she said something I didn't know how to answer.  "In the US you have subways and metros but here we have pushed taxi's and taxi's without wheels, what do we need to do to be a "developed" country?"  I have no idea, I wish I could have an answer, but until then, I am just thankful that the guardian angels here seem to always be working overtime, with all the "normal things" here, that we consider so dangerous. Welll good night I will write more later!
--Becca
Prayer requests, for the girls as they take their final exams, that they don't fail. For the families that have sick relatives, the mother of Ana Patricia, the step-mother of Sandra, and three of the girls with serious teeth problems, and another with various other problems.

to come...
El Contenedor and the Hogar!
La Madre y las Hermanas!
Espanoles y Bailando!
Los Carnets y el Comedor!

No comments:

Post a Comment