Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

First Things! September 5, 2010

First Things! September 5, 2010

So it has been almost a week since I have Arrived and yal have heard nothing from me, I’m sorry! I have been busy learning about “ mi nueva casa” and I have had a few random “enfermedades” which have not lasted more than a couple days and the sisters will not stop telling me is because I am getting used to the cold climate, because I come from somewhere much hotter and it is soo cold here (its only 70 degrees!). Everything here is so different, wonderful, but different. I can tell you more about the school later, because
I will be here a while, so I will tell yal about the drive here. I arrived late in the night In San Pedro Sula, so I spent the night there and drove up the mountains to Santa Rosa the following afternoon. It is about two and a half hours away by means of a two lane highway. The school’s driver kindly welcomed me to the Moon because the road is so full of potholes it might as well have been the moon! In different areas, there were families filling in the pot holes with sand, and stop traffic so that people would pay them for their work. The road climbed the mountains, passing casita after casita of the campesinos— some huts of mud, most of concrete or adobe, and a few of brick. Their fields grew on the side of the mountains, some fields of corn were so steep it was almost vertical. Along the highway in the middle of the day, walked mothers and children, (almost no men). There were a few areas along the road with maybe twenty houses a lot closer together and two or three stores and a restaurant, and at these places, they had speed balls on the road to slow the traffic. So that between the potholes, the people in the street, the speed balls, and the the slow cars, drivers on the freeways here spend just about the same amount of time in the lane for on coming traffic as they do in their own lane.
Finally I arrived safe and sound here, where things aren’t as much falling apart as about every other place I saw, and where children aren’t naked in the streets or shoveling sand for money, but this was my first impression, and a pretty acurate one of the life of everyone else in Honduras-- poor, always working, always trying to fill in holes in the system, and always facing life's problems head on.
When at every meal we ask a blessing for the food we are about to receive, it is serious, we don’t want to get parasites from the water used to prepare it. Then we give thanks after eating, for our delicious meal, for having a full stomach is a blessing! Just two days ago the girls were lectured for throwing away food, because five of them threw away about a fourth cup of food each! Now they all have to ask us every time they want to throw anything away, even if its only a bite, Usually they have to eat it or find someone else to. It makes me sick to think of the food we waste in the US, there is no comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment