Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Usted September 7, 2010


Sor Odie Running down the corridor!

Tracy and Sor Che before Buenas Noches
One of the things that is so different that I really had trouble with is using Usted. For those who don’t know, to say you singular there is the informal “tu” and the formal “usted.” I have never had to call anyone else anything other than the simple “you” it works for all people in English, but here “tu” can get you in trouble. I was a little bitter at first and offended when Tracy told me that I have to call the sisters Usted. Then I felt slightly indignant when I realized the sisters still used tu for me! What a strange thing the idea of separating those who deserve respect and those who don’t I thought. However, I’ve started growing used to using this new way categorizing people when you are talking to them. Though I may have felt indignant at first, it is almost normal now to be addressed as Usted by the girls, except then I feel guilty using tu back to them. However it is crazy how this idea pervades the culture. In the Estados Unidos, we’re all equal, and are always indignant with the idea of primacy of on person over another, but here, its is the way of life, the way of speaking and the way of viewing the world. However it isn’t only a primacy of one over another for no reason, it is a way for recognizing and respecting those who have earned a greater position and age, and those who you don’t know. Our relationships are not all equal and it is hard to see sometimes that there is a difference between children and adults and our close friends and those we have just met. Tu implies intimacy, and we don’t have that with everyone, unless we are God. How much does the American culture lack this idea of respect for our elders and respect for the stranger. Using tu with those who call you Usted isn’t weird for them because everyone who would be called Usted has been tu, and has earned it. In the eyes of the girls, I guess I have earned this title because I am so much older and "smarter" because I speak English. Why can we never be less than someone in the US…I need more humility. There is plenty of that here. As people always said at UD, that a humble campus makes humble students, and that applies even more here, as humble environments creates humble people.

No comments:

Post a Comment